Saturday, January 10, 2009

Baked Prune Whip

One of the more recent old cookbooks that my grandmother sent me really isn't a cookbook at all. It is a December 1942 edition of "Better Cooking and Homemaking". According the inside front cover, it was published by monthly by The Institute of Better Cooking in New York, New York. Unfortunately, a google search for "Better Cooking and Homemaking" didn't turn up much, so I really don't know much about the publication at all. I can say though, that it is quite an interesting read and one of the recipes in it that caught my eye was for "Baked Prune Whip". Now, I really don't think that prunes are all that popular, but here it is for anyone who enjoys prunes!

Baked Prune Whip-
Serves 4 to 6
Ingredients:
1 cup of coarsely chopped cooked prunes
1 tablespoon of lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon
3 egg whites
few grains of salt
1/2 cup of granulated sugar
1/2 cup of coarsely chopped walnuts

Add lemon juice and cinnamon to prunes. Add salt to egg whites and beat stiff; gradually add sugar; beat very stiff. Fold in prunes and walnuts, pour into buttered casserole dish, and bake in a slow oven (325 degrees) for about half hour or until firm. Serve cold or warm with soft custard sauce.

1 comment:

  1. My mother told me that Prune Whip was a staple at her elementary school lunchroom back in the late 1940s. Doesn't seem all that tasty to me. ;)

    ReplyDelete

 

Made by Lena