Sunday, January 18, 2009

Boston Brown Bread

I've only ever had Boston Brown Bread once, but it has always fascinated me. I can't rightly say why, probably because it is old-fashioned sounding and I love old-fashioned things. However, when I had it, I didn't like it. Maybe I'd like it better if I had it fresh instead of from a can. (Did you know that it came in a can? I guess you can get anything in a can-- even socks!). This recipe comes from "Aunt Sammy's Radio Recipes Revised", which was published in 1931 but came from the radio show which aired in the 1920s. Good luck and if any of you try it, let me know how it turns out!

Boston Brown Bread-

Ingredients:
1 cup corn meal and 1 cup rye meal OR 2 cups corn meal.
1 cup Graham flour. (I'm sure that any all-purpose flour would work here)
1 teaspoon salt.
3/4 cup molasses
2 cups sour milk, and 1 1/2 teaspoons soda, OR 2 cups sweet milk, 1/4 teaspoon soda, and 4 teaspoons baking powder

Mix the dry ingredients and add the molasses along with the milk. Beat the mixture thoroughly, then pour into greased molds until they are about three quarters filled. Cover loosely to keep out the moisture and steam for 3 1/2 hours. Remove the covers and bake the bread in a moderate oven for about 10 minutes to dry off. If the bread is crumbly, use a string to cut slices rather than a knife.

Notes: A moderate oven, according to the same book, would be somewhere between 325 to 375 degrees F.

2 comments:

  1. My mother used to make this. In a coffee can. In the 1980s. It was delicious. I'll have to try it out. I think she would occasionally add raisins.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't post a comment on the pickled eggs for some reason so I tried this post... I am so glad I happen to click on your blog. Most people think pickled eggs are gross but my husband and I love them! We were just talking about them the other day. I'm definitely going to try your recipe and I'll be back!
    Blessings

    ReplyDelete

 

Made by Lena