Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Corn Bread

One of the first old recipe books that my grandmother gave me was "Aunt Sammy's Radio Recipes Revised". It was printed by Bureau of Home Economics under the US Department of Agriculture in 1931. The inside leaflet notes that the price was 15 cents. (My grandmother didn't buy it, it was given to families in her neighborhood from the congressman who I believe was up for re-election) Now of course you couldn't get a cookbook for that! It has lots of old time recipes in it that were once shared on Aunt Sammy's Radio show, which I think aired weekly.

Here is the recipe for Cornbread from the book on page 81-

Corn Bread
Ingredients-
2 cups corn meal
1/2 teaspoon soda
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons salt
2 cups sour milk
2 eggs
2 tablespoons melted fat

Sift the dry ingredients together and add milk. Add the well-beaten eggs and the fat. Pour into a very hot well-buttered pan. Bake from 40 to 50 minutes in a hot oven. (400 to 425 degrees Fahrenheit)

Of course, people don't tend to use actual fat or sour milk in their cooking. If you are looking for substitutes then I suggest that you use butter, margarine, oil, or shortening in lieu of the fat and something like milk, buttermilk, or water for the sour milk.

2 comments:

  1. I love your recipe. I do old recipes too and have a cookbook Stir, Laugh, Repeat. Hope to see more of your recipes.
    Martha

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love corn bread. Can't wait to try this

    ReplyDelete

 

Made by Lena