Sunday, January 11, 2009

Grunow Refrigeration Recipe Book

Another of the more recent cookbooks that my grandmother sent me is the "Grunow Refrigeration Recipe Book" by Dorothy Ayers Loudon. Now, I had never heard of Grunow before this, but as far as I can tell, Grunow started out as the Grigsby-Grunow Co. and they first manufactured radios. However, due to the economic trouble in the late twenties, they switched to refrigerator production. If you would like to read about them, please look at this Time magazine article that I found that was written in 1930, it really is interesting.

Dating the cookbook is proving to be an interesting matter, since the cookbook has no date that I can find (although it is rapidly falling apart. The front cover is completely off, but luckily I have it, and the back cover is gone where only back covers go, so I have no idea if there was a date on it). My grandmother seems to think that she got the book in 1944, which she very well might have, however, since I don't believe the Grisgby-Grunow company lasted much longer than the mid-1930s, I am doubtful that they would have continued to produce a recipe book for a defunct refrigerator. However, I did find another refrigerator cookbook for the Grunow refrigerator by the same authoress dated 1931, you can view it here, I wonder if this was an updated version. The book does have some very interesting recipes which I will be sharing with you, but if any of you know anymore than what I was able to find about Grunow please comment!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Made by Lena